Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NBU 3.1.1 to 3.2 upgrade

2000-03-12 17:26:09
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NBU 3.1.1 to 3.2 upgrade
From: Monte Ambrose Monte.Ambrose AT veritas DOT com
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 14:26:09 -0800
Hello All

I have an NBU upgrade from 3.1.1 to 3.2 to do this week and would like to
get a quick review of the procedures documented in the NBU installation
guide.  I have paraphrased them below and added a bit. Since I have not
had the opportunity to do an upgrade I would appreciate any input from
those of you that have.

Environment 4 solaris 2.6 servers.  1 master 3 media.  All with ACS robots

Upgrade from 3.1.1 to 3.2 procedures for Solaris.
(Do master first and then media servers)

1.  Insure customer is at 3.1.1.
2.  Insure upgrade is done during non-backup/other active windows.
3.  Check backup filespecs for Data Base volumes. Make sure
    the following is selected for back up:
    A. /opt/openv/netbackup/*
    B. /opt/openv/volmgr/*
4.  Backup the NBU DB's
5.  Copy  scripts/bp.conf to temp directory.  If customer is using any in
goodies
    etc. Make sure that they are upgraded if necessary to work with 3.2
6.  Find out if customer is running any pre 3.1.1 clients. Add
    /usr/openv/netbackup/2_1_CLIENT_COMPATIBILITY on server if they are.
7.  Run /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/goodies/bp.kill_all INSTALL
8.  Check for Java instances:
    ps -ef | grep jre | grep openv     Kill them.
9.  Install the NBU 3.2 software.
10. Run install_bp
11. Either push client updates after install_bp or delay for later.
12. Update bp.conf if necessary.
13. Update new scripts that customer was using to work with 3.2 if
necessary.
14. Verify configuration works.
15. If customer is using non-root user for administration then change
permission
    and group values on binaries.

Questions:

1.  Did I miss anything?  What doesn't the book tell me?
2.  Should I suggest to upgrade the clients immediately or wait until the
server
    looks like it is up and working?
    Note: Customer has a couple hundred classes and probably quite a number
of
    clients to go with them.
3.  Will a 3.2 master work with a 3.1.1 media server (in case I don't get it
all
    done the first day)?

Thanks,

Monte Ambrose