Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] DLT4700 drive downed constantly

2000-03-09 16:40:20
Subject: [Veritas-bu] DLT4700 drive downed constantly
From: Ray Frederick ray AT west.gecems DOT com
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 14:40:20 -0700
Seen it many times,
Notice where your messages say

> unix: WARNING: /pci@1f,0/pci@1/scsi@1,1 (glm1):
> unix:  Connected command timeout for Target 1.0
> unix: WARNING: ID[SUNWpd.glm.cmd_timeout.6017]
> unix: WARNING: /pci@1f,0/pci@1/scsi@1,1 (glm1):
> unix:  Target 1 reducing sync. transfer rate
> unix: WARNING: ID[SUNWpd.glm.sync_wide_backoff.6014]
> unix: WARNING: /pci@1f,0/pci@1/scsi@1,1/sd@1,0 (sd17):

This is basically telling you that you have a slower device on the
scsi bus than the initiator can handle.

A wild guess from your messages

> unix: WARNING: /pci@1f,0/pci@1/scsi@1,1/

This controller is a dual connect ultra wide (SE or DIFF) and
the hard disk drive [sd@1,0 (sd17)] is NOT an ultra wide device.

No worries though it does work just at a reduced scsi bus transfer rate.

The problem being that when the ENTIRE bus resets the NetBackup device
control daemon is told that the tape drive has a failed with a transport
failure or fatal timeout. Downs the drive. The problem may seem random
because NB is not always trying to communicate with the tape drive when
the bus resets.

There is a few things you can try.
1) Move your disk drive to the physical end of the scsi chain and if it
is a SE bus use a line forced perfect terminator.

2) put your 4700 on its own bus. It looks like you have one available.
/pci@1f,0/pci@1/scsi@1

3)If the resets happen quite regular than replace the disk target 1 / sd17

A probable cause for the late collisions would be a switch hard set and
a Sun box using the auto negotiate feature on hme0.

Make sure that both the switch and U10 are hard set or auto negotiating.
If you would like the hme settings email me.

Good luck,
RF