Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Vaulting the DB Backup

2000-02-24 12:49:10
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Vaulting the DB Backup
From: Michael Wei wei AT colltech DOT com
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 11:49:10 -0600 (CST)
Veritas mades it look all good and dandy.  However only bpsched is
suspended.  bpduplicate can still run and update the datebase while the
db backup is happening.  bpduplicate doesn't deal with bpsched at all.  It
talks to bpdbm directly and start/stop bptm on the media server side.
There're also many other tools that might update the database while DB
backup is running.  Bear in mind that there's no "lock" on bpdbm during the
DB backup.

Given the fact that most of the database files are ascii, I would say go take
the slight risk and backup the DB whatever way you want.  The officially
sanctioned method doesn't guarantee an atomic DB backup either.

--Mike