Networker

Re: [Networker] all sessions slow at some time during backup

2012-12-03 10:13:13
Subject: Re: [Networker] all sessions slow at some time during backup
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 10:11:53 -0500
> If you have large, slow fileservers it is sometimes better to break
> up the filesystems
> you are backing up into different client savegrps.   Then you can
> run the backup just
> for some filesystems then run the others at a staggered time or even
> a different day.
> You may create multiple clients with different configs, of the same
> host and back them up
> in different savegrps.  We did this to cope with backup of a huge
> slow NDMP job andcit
> works well.

We also set up our job to list specific directories, rather than just use
saveset ALL. Ours is a Windows file server, but the concept is that by
listing directories, you get better speeds, since you are doing parallel
backups rather than serial-style backups. In our case, we listed the dozen
or so top level folders.

We also set a (global) directive to skip certain file types (i.e., TMP
files, LCK files, MDF/NDF files (MS SQL database, which are held open by
the SQL process, and so won't be backed up anyway), files that start with
a tilde (~) - on Windows, that indicates either a temp file or an open
scratch file, media files under the user hierarchy ... things like that.