Networker

Re: [Networker] Determining when a clone job finishes writing to tape?

2012-11-16 21:21:27
Subject: Re: [Networker] Determining when a clone job finishes writing to tape?
From: "George Sinclair (NOAA Federal)" <george.sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 21:20:31 -0500
On 2012-11-16 15:36, Michael Leone wrote:
if you use the "clonetime(25)" along with the clone pool (or number
of copies), this should do the job.
Here is the cloneid of one of those savesets:

mminfo -q "cloneid=1352527219" -r
volume,name,copies,savetime(22),clonetime(22)
  volume        name                           copies     date     time
clone time
000001 H:\Users 3 11/10/2012 1:00:19 AM
11/10/2012 9:42:26 AM
000002 H:\Users 3 11/10/2012 1:00:19 AM
11/10/2012 9:42:26 AM
000003 H:\Users 3 11/10/2012 1:00:19 AM
11/10/2012 9:42:26 AM
000004 H:\Users 3 11/10/2012 1:00:19 AM
11/10/2012 9:42:26 AM

Notice that "clonetime" is the clone *start* time, not the clone *end*
time.

Yep! I've always wanted a db attribute that would give me the clone completion time. I think the daemon.raw file is the only way, however. One other thing you could do would be to launch a backup immediately after the clone (assuming you're scripting this), and have it back up some trivial (empty) file to disk. You could then get the completion time for that (sscomp), and you'd know that the clone would have to have completed just prior. That would give you a very close ball park time. If you're not scripting it then savepnpc post-processing might be able to be used to do this, but I'm unclear if the post commands would run before or after cloning, assuming cloning is enabled for the group?

Obviously, if you're scripting this then the script could determine the date/time after the cloning completed, assuming it launched the clone job and/or the group that has cloning enabled, so never mind what I said about backing up a file to disk. That's pointless. How is the job getting kicked off, though? Cron, batch to run some script or just an enabled group with cloning turned on?

George

--
George Sinclair
Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210