Networker

[Networker] Networker 7.6.3 and SQL DB Issues

2012-11-14 09:24:58
Subject: [Networker] Networker 7.6.3 and SQL DB Issues
From: emcuser <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 06:24:18 -0800
We recently upgraded our Networker environment from 7.5.x to 7.6.3 and noticed
backups were no longer finishing within our normal backup window and that
backups were now taking an extra 2 LTO4 tapes to complete each week. After
poking through my logs I noticed it was the SQL server that was behaving
differently with this new client 7.6.3. We normally use the networker client to
backup the server itself and we also have the Networker SQL module to backup
the SQL db's. With this new client the SQL DB files were being treated as if
they were flatfiles and were getting backed as a such which increased the
amount of time and space to backup. I opened up a ticket with EMC and they
confirmed that Networker 7.6.2 to 7.6.4 have a bug which is causing the issue
and is currently being looked into. In the mean time they offered 3 options.
Use 7.6.1, use directives to exclude the SQL DB files or use Networker 8.0
which apparenty is backwards compatible with 7.6.x. Hope this helps anyone !
 who has experienced the same issue.