Networker

Re: [Networker] How to add NIC drivers to NW Win 2008 DR image

2012-11-09 15:32:00
Subject: Re: [Networker] How to add NIC drivers to NW Win 2008 DR image
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2012 15:31:01 -0500
> I now have separate 32bit and 64bit folders with those drivers for my
boot
> image, since I have both Win2008 (32bit) and Win2008 R2 (64bit only)
> machines to protect.

I take this part back .. .the ISO image is only 32bit, in the 7.6.x series
(apparently), and this refers to the drivers used by the WinPE environment
established by the boot ISO.

IOW, you need to add the SCSI and NIC drivers to the ISO, as the image
uses *these* to connect over the network, and then to write to the disk,
of the client you are recovering.

And BTW, since WinPE does Plug-and-Play scanning, you can only load these
drivers if the machine has that particular hardware in it. So you can't
boot up, and try and load a SmartArray P400i RAID contoller driver, if the
client you are booting on doesn't have that type of RAID controller. Which
makes testing if you've got the right driver problematical, if you can't
find a similar machine to test-boot with ...