Networker

[Networker] Replicated Dedupe disk backup appliances for SMB market?

2012-11-02 18:23:28
Subject: [Networker] Replicated Dedupe disk backup appliances for SMB market?
From: mitch808 <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2012 15:09:02 -0700
Personally, if you have Networker, you want to get a DataDomain unit and use
BOOST.  This helps with link utilization, performance, clone controlled
replication, and a new feature of Networker8 is client direct backups...

That said, these dedupe appliances all support various forms of Ethernet using
1GbE, 10GbE, and support LACP with multiple links.  They also support VTL over
4/8GB Fiber.  These devices do NOT need to be block based, and CIFS/NFS/VTL is
just fine in this case.

I would meet with all of these vendors and find out what makes them think they
are better than the others.  Though I would toss Quantum out now.  As a
company, I can't see how much longer they will be in business.  Their company
numbers have been horrible, and the only thing keeping them afloat is StorNext.

WHile you are using Networker, you may also want to look at changing to a
capacity based license.  This way you don't have to buy the Networker BOOST or
AFTD license.