Networker

Re: [Networker] Jukebox control port using persistent names

2012-10-26 07:18:28
Subject: Re: [Networker] Jukebox control port using persistent names
From: Francis Swasey <Frank.Swasey AT UVM DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 07:18:09 -0400
On Oct 26, 2012, at 2:08 AM, Riku Valli <riku.valli AT UTA DOT FI> wrote:

> I used  persistent names at my Redhat box and 7.6.3 with NMC. You can
> made jukebox and tape-devices very easily with persistent names. It's
> that simple and quickly at when my RedHat lost devices and i must
> recreate them i used NMC for it. Persistent names are mandatory for
> Linux or you lost devices at every boot.

In RHEL5, I developed the udev rules that I posted last night because the tape
drives were moving around.  It was RHEL6 that started initializing the HBA's in
random order and actually caused the issue of the scsi host number of the HBA
that is attached to the control port of the jukebox changing almost every
reboot.

I also stated in my first message that this jukebox was created (via jbconfig)
back in 2008 and the NetWorker configuration has come along with me from RHEL4
and NetWorker 7.3 all the way to RHEL6 and NetWorker 7.6.4 (It's also converted
from 32-bit to 64-bit OS's in that time).  The reason I can't just delete the
jukebox and create it again through NMC is because of the multiple days it
would take to run the inventory of the 1400 tapes in the thing.

I keep trying to get a real test environment with a small jukebox so I can
experiment with this stuff.  However, so far I have not been able to shake the
necessary money loose.  Therefore, I am very thankful for the existence of this
mailinglist and the help that everyone here is giving to all of us.

-- Frank