Networker

Re: [Networker] Why doesn't nsrinfo show me saveset details? - RESOLVED

2012-10-17 09:27:35
Subject: Re: [Networker] Why doesn't nsrinfo show me saveset details? - RESOLVED
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 09:21:32 -0400
> I do not. I mean: I have done the above procedure many times (couple
dozen
> or so), and the savesets have always been browsable afterwards. However,

> these particular savesets now are not browsable. I believe they used to
be
> browsable, altho I don't really recall if I explicitly browsed these
after
> scanning them, years ago. I do know that I can, even now, go and browse
> other savesets that were scanned at the same time, and in the same way.
> can browse tapes that I scanned from May, 2008 from this server. This
> saveset that I need (from Aug, 2007) I can not browse. Yet both savesets

> were scanned in the same way, using the steps above.
>
> I am going to try scanning again, in the proper order. Going straight to

> "scanner -i -S <ssid>", and I will get the <ssid> and the order from the

> current media db.

And this did indeed. Work as expected. I did "scanner -i" in the order
that the media db said to do it in (and the media db knew the order
because I had previously scanned these tapes before). And once that scan
was finished, I was able to browse the saveset, as expected.

(mind you, I didn't find what I was looking for, so now I have to scan 7
more tapes that are not in the media db, meaning that 2 scan method,
before I can search for the user folder I am looking for ...)

Anyways, I guess it wasn't browsable because it had been expunged by the
command that deletes the oldest indexes, which we probably ran for low
space reasons.

So, the moral of the story - if you need to scan a backup tape made at
another NW server, it is possible to do, and to make it browsable. It just
takes a long time, as you have to scan it twice. Unless you happen to have
a media report from the old server showing tapes, ssids, and fragflags, so
you can skip the "scanner -m" portion, I suppose ...