Networker

Re: [Networker] Why doesn't nsrinfo show me saveset details?

2012-10-11 12:35:23
Subject: Re: [Networker] Why doesn't nsrinfo show me saveset details?
From: George Sinclair <george.sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 12:34:51 -0400
On 2012-10-11 07:37, Michael Leone wrote:
One thing that may be a good question to ask... Are the save sets
NDMP?
Nope, we don't use NDMP.

Have you looked at the actual index structure itself before and after scanning? Does it appear to be a full and complete directory? In other words, does it have a lot of files and/or subdirectories with the naming conventions that one would expect to see in an index? What happens if you run a subsequent check against the index, e.g. level 5 or 6?

Is it possible that the browse policy on the affected clients may need to be increased? I remember a number of years ago, I had to merge in an older index with the current information, and NW kept dropping the older information. It was not until I reset the clock on the server to an older date that it finally worked. This was a different situation than yours because I only needed the index for a temporary recovery, and then I was able to reset the clock and go back to where I was prior. It was weird deal, but in that case, if the shoe fits ... I think there were some quirks with NW's ability to merge in older indexes, but that was then, this is now. Just mentioning it because I remember a number of complaints about this problem in older releases, and a number of proposed workarounds with the usual "Gee, I've never seen that before" responses as well.

Is it possible that there's a difference in time zones (e.g. EDT versus UTC) or some such thing?

It would seem that if nsrinfo isn't reporting anything then unless you're running the command with the incorrect options or values (this happens to me sometimes where I accidentally use the ssid rather than the nsavetime value or some such thing) then there simply isn't anything in the index for that nsavetime value. It didn't get picked up by your scanner command, and/or it was dropped during the process. As a test, could you try creating a list of an index directory, scan in one small save set using the same steps you carried out prior, generate a new list and compare. Next, try repeating the test using the full steps others have recommended? Do you still have any of the older tapes around to run such a test?

George

--
George Sinclair
Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210