Networker

Re: [Networker] Why doesnt nsrinfo show me saveset details?

2012-10-10 14:42:42
Subject: Re: [Networker] Why doesnt nsrinfo show me saveset details?
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 14:42:30 -0400
> > > You only need to "scanner -m", followed by "scanner -i", when the
> tapes
> > > are not in the media database at all.
> >
> > Since when?
>
> Since when you have a saveset that spans multiple tapes. :-) You must
> populate the media db first, and then determine the order of the
savesets,
> and then scan in that order.
>
> > That's never been a requirement, and it's contrary to what the
> > documentation says.  scanner -i rebuilds both, at once.
>
> When a saveset does not span multiple tapes, yes, you are correct.
>
> > I've certainly done scanner -i in the past and had it rebuild both. If
> > that's changed, I would love to know when it changed.  Someone should
> > also get EMC to fix their documentation.
>
> It is in the documentation ... it used to be p310 in the 7.4 Admin Guide

p338 in the 7.6 SP1 documentation ...

The last line is most import - "scanner -i" must be run in the same order
as the tapes were written. And you won't know that unless the tapes are in
the media db first, so you can run a mminfo with the fragflags, to show
the order.

If the save set is found on multiple volumes and the order in which the
volumes
were written is unknown, complete this step. Otherwise, skip to step 5 .
a. On each volume that will be reintroduced into the online indexes, run
this
command:
scanner -m device_name
The media database is updated with information from each volume.
b. Query the media database to determine the sequence in which the volumes
were written:
mminfo -a -v

In step 5 , the volumes must be reintroduced into the online indexes in
the
same order in which they were written.