Networker

Re: [Networker] NW 8.0.0.x

2012-09-07 12:04:29
Subject: Re: [Networker] NW 8.0.0.x
From: Mark Wiertalla <wiertalla_mark AT EMC DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 11:55:51 -0400
Frank and Tony -

The logger issue has long been a pain for NetWorker. Some linux distros put it
in /usr/bin, others put it in /bin. Based upon your post I asked engineering to
look at this more closely and they’ve determined that RedHat used to put it in
/bin….
RHEL 5.x by default uses /bin/logger
RHEL 6.x by default uses /usr/bin/logger

NetWorker uses a default setting of /user/bin/logger (instead of a dynamically
querying for the location of .../logger) and several Linux distros appear to
use /bin/logger. Engineering tells me that the documentation advises the user
to update it to point at /usr/bin if that is how their Linux distro is set up.
If you can't find this reference let me know and I'll press engineering for
more clarification.

Since the NetWorker default is /usr/bin/logger, then we can guess that the
default setting had been manually updated to point to /bin/logger (possibly
because of an older version of RHEL?). Since NetWorker does not touch
pre-existing resources on upgrade, the default setting was retained, and now it
doesn’t work with RHEL 6.

Engineering has offered to change the default setting to /bin. I see this
approach as ensuring that a different set of users get impacted. I’m opening an
RFE to enhance NetWorker to use a dynamic query method (if possible) instead of
using a static default setting.

Second, in 8.0 we have removed our modification of the syslog configuration
which is why the logger output goes to daemon.raw instead of the system log
which is /var/log/messages. NetWorker was being a bad program by modifying the
values for some of the syslog levels, and that has been corrected in 8.0.

Thanks for your post and my apologies for the inconvenience that may has caused
you.
Mark