Networker

Re: [Networker] Database Backups in DMZ

2012-08-28 10:19:46
Subject: Re: [Networker] Database Backups in DMZ
From: "Stanley R. Horwitz" <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 14:19:27 +0000
I just had this conversation with a tech support representative at EMC last
week. I asked about SQL, but the concept is the same for Oracle. You can do
VDAP backups for file and virtual disk restores; however, the traditional
agent-based backup of your databases is still necessary unless your DBA is
willing to dump the Oracle data at least once a day to another disk via RMAN.
Using VDAP backups will not get a reliable backup of live databases.