Networker

Re: [Networker] Need to obtain the jobid of a client initiated save via command line reliably

2012-08-23 21:51:33
Subject: Re: [Networker] Need to obtain the jobid of a client initiated save via command line reliably
From: "Roberts, Justin (GE, Appl & Light)" <Justin.Roberts2 AT GE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 01:51:09 +0000
That would be great!

I'm really interested in how others are initiating and monitoring the save job
with networker as we have been doing it with a perl script for 10+ years here,
but that was with HP Data Protector.  I'm trying to modify our current script
to use Networker instead.

My original plan was to initiate the save of the archives with a save command,
and then monitor the status of that job.  The ability to accurately determine
the jobid of a client initiated save has been difficult though.  My guess is
the simplest way is to create a savegroup for each archive backup and just kick
off with a savegrp command and monitor that savegroup with the jobquery or
nsradmin commands.

We have A LOT of databases like this though, well over 100.  Each database has
2 archive directories (that design was before my time, new databases are RMAN
with a single archive directory).  I'm hesitant to create 200+ more save
groups.  I would keep them disabled though and only be imitated if needed, so
most of the time they would sit idle.  If Networker can handle it I'm ok with
it, just worried what having that many savegroups in networker will cause
issues.

I'm backing up to Data Domain with DD Boost devices.

Justin M Roberts
GE Appliances and Lighting
TAS Midrange Services

T +1 502 452 4136