Networker

[Networker] Cloning to library on another node - seeking a sanity check

2012-08-10 06:20:59
Subject: [Networker] Cloning to library on another node - seeking a sanity check
From: Tim Kimball <Tim.Kimball AT SUNGARD DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 10:12:06 +0000
Morning all,

Sun EBS 7.4.4, Solaris 10 Sparc and x64 (still working out the EMC migration
there, its been slow).

Until then, I'm preparing to migrate off our old disk, and (for now) the new
array is on a server that's not attached to the correct library for offsite
tapes.  This will be corrected in a later migration stage, but I need the
drives on the old servers, pushing most of the older backups to tape (I'm going
to a 'smaller' disk as well).

I've not done a remote clone like this before, so seeking a quick sanity check.

1) I believe cloning can still occur from the new disk to our target library if
1) the offsite pool settings restrict the drives to this library, and 2) one or
more SNs on the library are in this system's clone storage node list
(preferably after himself).

2) I'm also planning to use this opportunity to place another copy of some
longer-term backups on the short-term offsite tape.  For this, we need to make
sure that only this copy will have the retention of the target pool (10 days)
instead of the original backup (2-3 years, depending on the backup).  It looks
like I can just force the retention at pool level, but want to be sure that
this is working in 7.4 first.  :)

Much Appreciated,
--TSK

Tim Kimball