Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker 8.0

2012-07-22 05:17:45
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker 8.0
From: Dag Nygren <dag AT NEWTECH DOT FI>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2012 12:03:44 +0300
On Saturday 21 July 2012 12:32:05 Dag Nygren wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Have anyone been able to run NMC on a Linux with kernel > 3.0 and more than 4
> GB of memory?
> The SQLAnywhere crashes with an "Not enough memory" for me.
> Seems to be a known bug in the version NMC uses.
>
> Extract from SQLAnywhere changelog:
>
> Build #3539  - Engineering Case #694479
>
> NMC seems to be using Build 3152.

Replying to myself here. Just in case somebody else have similar problems:

Sybase admits they are doing the memory size calculations wrong when running
Linux kernels 3.0-3.3 with more than 4GB memory. They have fixed it later.

But the linux guys have also patche the kernel since that to allow this "wrong"
way
of calculating the memory size.
And after installing a 3.4.4 kernel my NMC started working.
In other words we cannot run the current NMC on kernels 3.0-3.3.
In case EMC upgrades the SqlAnywhere patch level at some point the restriction
will be removed.
Also tried the olld NMC from 7.6.3 on the 3.4 kernel. This still claims to be
out of memory.

The database NMC upgrade failed after my trials with kernel 3.3.6 though and I
had to throw it away to
make things work. Not a big deal in the test environment, but I suggest copying
everything under /opt/lgtonmc
to a safe location before you start upgrading the production...

Best
Dag