Networker

Re: [Networker] Migrating few critical clients to a diffrent networker serve

2012-06-25 08:06:29
Subject: Re: [Networker] Migrating few critical clients to a diffrent networker serve
From: FAIDHERBE Thierry <thierry.faidherbe AT FOREM DOT BE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 11:53:50 +0000
To perform tape scan, to must define same pool on target networker server.
So, ...

For a faster "import" and clean import, you could, on the old
AND new server, create a new pool. Ex TRANSFER. Same name on both env.

Then, for all the clients you need to move from the old to the new
env :
1) on the new env, define old clients with same clientid.

2) in a reverse time order (newest backup first), stage backups
from these clients, from the current old pool to the newly created
TRANSFER pool on the old env.
Then, when tape is full, for sample, on the new env, use "scanner -m"
to let it recognize the tape and its content.
(it will only be clients you need to move, tape not filled in with unneeded
data. So less tape to scan).

These newly scanned backups will be recoverable (meaning you can recover
from,
based on ssid or file based if you know complete path).

At this stage, 2 options for you:
A) if you absolutely need to rebuild CFI, then scanner -I on
each SSID. As nsrstage moved 1 ssid a time, your rebuilt will be faster
as each tape block scanner will read belongs to same ssid. (no tape
multiplex)

B) you can, from the old nsr server, issue an nsrinfo cmd to gather
file list from the old CFIs. Store them in a text file and keep them
on the new nsr server in case of need.

HTH

Thierry