Networker

[Networker] Server lost connection problem

2012-06-19 12:55:07
Subject: [Networker] Server lost connection problem
From: "Stanley R. Horwitz" <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 15:10:59 +0000
About two weeks ago, I upgraded my NetWorker server from 7.6.1 to NetWorker
7.6.3.4.Build.879. This server backs up 336 clients (mostly Windows and Linux).
All of the clients back up to a Data Domain system using Boost and a few are
cloned nightly to LTO-5 tape. I have 11 Boost devices configured for direct use
on the server and each Boost device has its max sessions set to a value of 10.
No storage nodes are involved in this data zone.

After we upgraded our DD system to the latest OS, the backups of larger servers
improved in their throughput, but for the past few days, I am noticing an
unusual number of backup failures for several groups of, both Linux and
Windows, including some that also have NetWorker 7.6.3 on them. The error is
always the same in the savegroup report "connection dropped."

There does not appear to be anything problems going on with network
connectivity and in most cases, these clients do not back up via a firewall. I
do not see any errors on the clients or the NetWorker server when I use
"netstat -i." Incremental backups of the same clients also work without issue.

I reviewed the NetWorker tuning guide on PowerLink, but I haven't done any of
the tests they recommended yet with uasm, although it did contain a
recommendation to increase client parallelism to 12, which I changed a few
minutes ago. Most of the clients had the default setting of 4 for their
parallelism.

If anyone has any ideas on how to investigate this problem, please let me know.
I am skeptical that doing tests with uasm will bring forth any enlightenment on
this issue.