Networker

[Networker] Precedence of use - expired or blank tape, in the same pool?

2012-06-15 12:08:02
Subject: [Networker] Precedence of use - expired or blank tape, in the same pool?
From: Lagerstars <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 09:01:09 -0700
Hi, just to chime in on this i have a kind of related question...

If the browse / retention policy is configured on the media pool instead of the
client (client settings are set to 1 day each as i believe the longest time
wins so the longer time is on the media pool)... When the tape becomes
recyclable, does Networker automatically then use that tape for the next backup
with the same label? Does Auto Media Management need to be enabled for it to
auto re-label the tape and if it does, does it use the same label name it
already has?

The scenario is this... we have a 9 week cycle on incremental tapes but a 12
week cycle on the full backups, so i need to set the policy on the pools rather
than the client and i'm hoping that by doing this, it will mean that we wont
need to continually re-label the tapes to blank them off for the next run...
Once they're configured in this way, we can just swap tapes in the library and
forget about them.

I will eventually test this, but if someone can shed some light it will speed
things up for me a bit.

Thanks in advance