Networker

[Networker] Precedence of use - expired or blank tape, in the same pool?

2012-06-07 09:10:10
Subject: [Networker] Precedence of use - expired or blank tape, in the same pool?
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2012 09:06:45 -0400
I have a question from my legal staff. Let's suppose I create a tape with
a 2 months browse/retention policy. And I leave it in my library for more
than 2 months - i.e., it is now older than it's expiration period, and is
therefore recyclable (all savesets on the tape have expired). And I also
have new blank tapes that are labeled in the same pool.

Which will NW use first, if it needs a tape - will it re-label the
recyclable tape, or will it use one of the blank unused tapes in the same
pool? And what settings would control that?

(the reason for the question - we are legally prevented, at the moment,
from overwriting any tape. So they want to know what will happen if we
happen to put in an old tape that has expired, but have forgotten to slide
the switch to make the tape read-only. Will that tape be overwritten
first, or will NW use unused, labeled tapes in the same pool first)

--
Michael Leone
Network Administrator, ISM