Networker

[Networker] Restoring MS Windows cluster share definitions ?

2012-05-29 08:55:50
Subject: [Networker] Restoring MS Windows cluster share definitions ?
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 08:49:25 -0400
I am confused about something. In Windows, with a local disk, you define
shared folders, and the security of the share (which is separate from the
NTFS permissions). Then, if you need to restore that disk, NW will restore
everything - files, folders, share and NTFS permissions. So the share will
be available when the restore is done, AFAIK.

But what about cluster shares? With a cluster, the share is defined in
Cluster Manager, and (usually) the share definitions are dependent on a
cluster disk drive. But if you restore the contents of the disk drive, you
do not restore (and reactivate) the share definitions and permissions.
(we just did this over the weekend). We were doing some SAN work -
replacing the cluster disk with a different one from the SAN. So we turned
off the share before getting rid of the old disk. Then we made the new
disk, and did a NW recover of the contents. All went well.

The last step is to go back to Cluster Manager, and turn the shares back
on. This is what got me thinking - suppose something disastrous happened,
and I need to re-create the entire cluster, Where would I be able to
restore the cluster settings such as shares? What do I backup?

Right now, I am doing a saveset ALL of both physical nodes, and saveset
ALL of the 2 virtual cluster clients. But I don't think that is saving the
share definitions.

Can anybody shed any light on my lack of understanding? What else should I
be backing up, in order to make sure I am saving the cluster definition
(clients, share definitions, etc). And where would I then restore them?

I don't think these are stored/saved in Active Directory, so my FULL
backups of my Domain Controllers wouldn't be of any use in this case. But
if not there, then where?

Thanks

--
Michael Leone