Networker

[Networker] Executing in parallel or sequentially?

2012-05-22 09:28:33
Subject: [Networker] Executing in parallel or sequentially?
From: bingo <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 06:27:27 -0700
Can a restore be done in parallel? What (well, my boss) will do is use the
GUI NWRECOVER, and choose all 10 folders to do the recover. If I can speed
that up any, that would be great.

Yo - Yes and No (or Yes, in principle).
This depends in several circumstances (other than parallelisms):
  - You must use multiple recover commands (GUIs) at a time.
  - If all save sets are on one tape, all commands must be issued before the
media is mounted.
      Of course the save sets must be multiplexed otherwise you can start the
processes but the reads can only be sequential.
      Bust at least you avoid rewinding.
  - If the save sets are on multiple tapes, you can start new recover jobs at
any time.
      Of course you need multiple tape drives to support this feature ;-)
  - If you recover from disk, the behavior is similar, in general.
      I am just in doubt whether the recovery would be faster if you force the
heads to move in and out all the time if you only use one disk.