Networker

[Networker] NDMP backup fails to request tape

2012-05-09 12:35:52
Subject: [Networker] NDMP backup fails to request tape
From: Kinnison <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 9 May 2012 09:31:15 -0700
I have been struggling with this problem off and on for two weeks. I have one
Networker server that runs all our NDMP backups with 3 Isilon clusters and 3
NetApp clusters. We're running on Solaris 10 on Sun SPARC. The Isilons are
backed up using FC LTO tape drives connected using Isilon Backup Accelerators.
The NetApps are backed up using directly-connected FC LTO tape drives.

We were running Networker 7.6.2.4 but have upgraded to 7.6.3.3 at request of
EMC Tech Support. All the backups run as scheduled via NMC, load the first tape
for each backup and then most of the time, they fail to request/load any
follow-on tapes. Oddly enough, the Index group has the same problem. I can get
the backups to start loading tapes by stopping NW, clearing /nsr/tmp, deleting
/nsr/res/jobsdb and starting the backups again. But again, after the first tape
for most groups, they never load another. Few backups complete and since you
cannot restart direct NDMP backups, any unfinished backups are useless. There
are no error messages in daemon.log nor syslog even after turning on debug in
Networker.

 I don't expect a solution but was more interesting in seeing if others were
have the same or similar problem. Thanks.

Paul Gilles
Nokia ICM