Networker

[Networker] Best choice for ignoring .nsr files?

2012-05-06 15:36:51
Subject: [Networker] Best choice for ignoring .nsr files?
From: George Sinclair <george.sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 15:36:10 -0400
Hi,

Several questions here. What's the best way to ignore .nsr files on a client, but controlling from the server side? Should I use a server side directive or the backup command field? Are the below configurations correct? Also, NetWorker issues warning message concerning using '-i' option with save while Enabling Backup renamed directories. Curious about that error.

OK, I have a client whose save set list looks like this:

/archive/dir/disk1
/archive/dir/disk2
/archive/dir/disk3

and uses the directive: "unix standard directives". That's the one I usually select for most clients. I want to ensure that no '.nsr' files that might be under any of those paths will get processed, so I want to ignore any such .nsr files.

I would rather not create a separate client side .nsr file for each save set as that's more work to keep track of, and I can't just put a .nsr file at the root level on the client as:

<< / >>
ignore

because there are other paths that do contain .nsr files that I don't want to ignore. Also, I can't put a top level directive under /archive/dir for the same reason.

1. I was thinking to simply create a new server side directive, that's a copy of the "unix standard directive", and add the following lines:
<< /archive/dir/disk1 >>
ignore
<< /archive/dir/disk2 >>
ignore
<< /archive/dir/disk3 >>
ignore

Should this work? The man page for nsr(5) says that the 'ignore' save environment directive will "Ignore subsequent .nsr files found in descendent directories.", so am I correct in thinking that the preceding '+' is not needed?

2. Instead of using a server side directive, what about using the 'Backup command' field instead by adding following value: save -i
Will that work?

With no value in the field, when the backup group runs from the server, I see this on the client (ps -ef | grep save):

/usr/bin/save -s server -g group -LL -f - -m client -l level -q -W 78 -N /archive/dir/disk1 /archive/dir/disk1

But when I add the 'save -i' value to the field and save NSR client resource, NetWorker initially complains with this message:

Enabling Backup renamed directories may cause <save -i> specified in 'backup command' attribute not working properly, re-apply if this is acceptable

I do have 'Backup renamed directories' enabled. Is this an issue?

Anyway, after re-applying changes to the NSR client resource, when I run the backup group again, I then see this on the client:

/usr/bin/save -i -s server -g group -LL -f - -m client -l level -q -W 78 -N /archive/dir/disk1 /archive/dir/disk1

Same thing as before except now with the 'i'. This seems to be a more elegant and compact solution over the server side directive, but curious what others think or might admonish on this choice. Also, the warning from NetWorker makes me nervous.

I assume that the 'Backup command' value will only affect the given NSR resource and not other resources for that same client, correct?

Thanks

George

--
George Sinclair