Networker

[Networker] VADP Woes

2012-05-01 07:04:37
Subject: [Networker] VADP Woes
From: Brian Nisbet <wallydug AT HOTMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 07:04:18 -0400
Hi all

We've recently upgraded from NetWorker 7.5.1 to 7.6.3 (Windows 2003 R2
Standard SP2 32-bit).  As our VCB backup proxy was also the backup server
itself, we've naturally had to switch from the (working) VCB backup method
to the new (awful!) VADP backup method.

First of all, we were on version 4.0.0 of vSphere which _should_ have been
supported, but it turns out that the minimum spec appears to be 4.0.0
Release 2 - annoying!  Fortunately, that got upgraded a week later, albeit
on a new hypervisor (Windows 2008 R2 64-bit).

Some of the VADP backups work great, however we have a dozen or so failing with:

* vm_hostname:*FULL* Could not mount required number of volumes. Exiting.
* vm_hostname:*FULL* The VADP proxy and the VM client are possible clones of
each other or derived from the same parent. Please try by setting the
transport mode as nbd.

I've come across this
http://solutions.emc.com/EMCSolutionView.asp?id=esg123567&usertype=C but our
VMware admins can't see any issues with the disk configurations.

I've also added the application information value of VADP_TRANSPORT_MODE=nbd
in the client resource for the particular VM, but it seems to ignore this
setting as the save command output (please see attached) shows:

    Using 'san' as the transport mode for Hard disk 1.

The clients that are failing are mainly Windows, both 2003 and 2008 and both
32- and 64-bit, but there's also a couple of Linux as well.  I can't see any
commonalities with the failing backups.

Has anyone experienced this issue before?

Thanks

Brian

Initializing VADP Configuration.
Using nsr.backup.server.com as the VADP proxy server host for client
vm_hostname.
Application information attribute VADP_HOST for client vm_hostname is set to
"something.our.fqdn".
Application information attribute VADP_DISABLE_FLR for client vm_hostname is
set to default value of "No".
Application information attribute VADP_BACKUPROOT for client vm_hostname is set
to "C:\\VCB_Backups".
Application information attribute VADP_TRANSPORT_MODE for client vm_hostname is
set to "san|hotadd|nbdssl|nbd".
Application information attribute VADP_MAX_RETRIES for client vm_hostname is
set to default value of "0".
Application information attribute VADP_MAX_BACKOFF_TIME for client vm_hostname
is set to default value of "10".
80423:nsrvadp_save: Unknown application information attribute found for client
vm_hostname.
Trying to reset the client resource application information attributes.
Application information attribute VADP_HYPERVISOR for client vm_hostname is set
to "hypervisor.our.fqdn".
80423:nsrvadp_save: Unknown application information attribute found for client
vm_hostname.
VC\ESX Host Name        : 10.10.10.111
VC\ESX Port             : 443
VC\ESX Username         : domain\vcb_backup
Mount point             : C:\\VCB_Backups\vm_hostname
Flavor                  : fullvm
Transport Mode          : san:hotadd:nbdssl:nbd
Max retry               : 0
Max backoff time        : 10
VDDK Install Directory: C:\Program Files\Legato\nsr\plugins\VDDK.
VADP VM-TMP Directory Location:
C:\\VCB_Backups\vm_hostname\vm_hostname\vm_hostname-tmp\letters\1.
Temporary Directory for VM created.
VADP TMP Directory Location: C:\\VCB_Backups\vm_hostname\vm_hostname\tmp.
Temporary Directory for VADP created.
Temporary vmMntLoc Directory for VADP created.
Performing the backup via the Virtual Center.
Application information attribute VADP_VM_NAME for client vm_hostname is set to
"vm_hostname".
Trying to connect to the VM using VM name 'vm_hostname'.
Performing a FULL Image level backup.
Creating snapshot for vm_hostname.
Creating snapshot for 'vm-75126' ...
 Task is -1% complete
 Task is 95% complete
 Task is -1% complete
SnapShot created Successfully for VM 'vm_hostname'.
Downloading VM configuration for vm_hostname.
Configuration downloaded successfully for VM 'vm_hostname'.

Following are the details of the client vm_hostname:
VirtualCenter           : 10.10.10.111
ESX Server              : physical.our.fqdn
DataCenter Name         : DataCenter Name
ConfigDatastore Name    : VNX_LUN3
Resourcepool Name       : /Cognos

Following is the disk information of the client vm_hostname:
Disk 1 Label            : Hard disk 1
Disk 1 Size             : 72.0 GB
Disk 1 Datastore name   : VNX_LUN3
Total Number of Disks   : 1

Obtained the virtual disks for the VM.
Change block tracking is disabled for VM: vm_hostname
File level Recovery from Image level backup is enabled.
MORef for the VM is obtained.
Obtained the virtual disks for the VM.
Using 'san' as the transport mode for Hard disk 1.
Starting mountvm operation.
Successfully mounted the VM as a file system.
Could not mount required number of volumes. Exiting.
The VADP proxy and the VM client are possible clones of each other or derived
from the same parent. Please try by setting the transport mode as nbd.
Cleaningup VADP mount operation.
Deleting snapshot for 'snapshot-100615' ...
 Task is -1% complete
 Task is -1% complete
Snapshot for VM vm_hostname is deleted.
Temporary directory 'C:\\VCB_Backups\vm_hostname' for VADP deleted.