Networker

Re: [Networker] Spanning savesets across multiple AFTD devices

2012-04-26 10:49:25
Subject: Re: [Networker] Spanning savesets across multiple AFTD devices
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 10:49:17 -0400
> I spoke with EMC Tech Support. I explained that I manually remove
savesets
> that have been cloned, after a certain number of days (using "nsrmm -d
> -S"), and then reclaim storage using "nsrstage -C -V".
>
> >> This is nonsense. What do you want to stage if the save set has
> already been deleted?

That's how the scripts were set up by EMC Tech Support when we first
installed NW. :-) It's worked fine for our needs for over 5 years, so why
change, if the current way does what we need? The savesets are only
deleted after they have already been cloned, and a certain amount of time
has passed (anywhere from 2 days to a week, depending on how long we want
to keep a copy of the savesets around for faster recovers).

> AFAIR if you manually delete a save set it is deleted (space is
> released) right away.
> Just take a few minutes and test it on a new device.

I don't have a spare snode to test it on. And I don't want to/can't make
such investigational changes to production storage nodes. Nor is there any
free SAN space to present as 2 new testing drives.

> I asked about doing
> this explicitly. That if Device #1 was full, and would savesets then
> continue onto Device #2; they said yes. I said "what about when I
manually
> clear space on Device #1 using "nsrmm -d" and "nsrstage -C -V"; would NW
> then be able to use the now free space on Device #1? They said that NW
> would continue to use Device #2 until it filled up, and then would go
back
> and use Device #1, since it now had free space.
>
> >> Correct with respect to the sequence, wrong for the procedure (see
above).

> Are you saying that is NOT what would happen? That I would have to
> manually re-label Device #1 before I can use it again? I haven't time
(nor
> the resources) to test that yet.
>
> >> Yes, if you want to reuse the whole space, labeling would be the
> fastest operation.

OK, but I'm not asking what would be fastest; I'm asking if FTD devices
would just automatically re-use Device #1, since it now had free space.
That's what the AFTD device does, and what I need to happen. I can't have
NW just sit there when Device #2 fills up, waiting for me to come along
and manually re-label Device #1 (which will still have non-expired
savesets on it that I want to keep around for a while, and therefore the
whole volume is not recyclable).