Networker

[Networker] DFS backup questions

2012-04-23 12:11:52
Subject: [Networker] DFS backup questions
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 12:10:17 -0400
OK, so we're starting to experiment with DFS. (this is Windows stuff, BTW
:-)). Anyway, NW 7.6.2 documentation says

"The NetWorker software does not traverse DFS links and therefore does not
back up DFS
destination directories as a part of the DFS junctions backup. To properly
protect data, back up
the DFS destination directories."

We have defined a namespace on server Remote-1. This namespace has 2
target folders, where the data for that namespace resides, one on the
server where the namespace is defined, and one on another remote server
(Remote-2). I have discovered that a saveset ALL on Remote-1 does *not*
backup the folder that is defined as the root of the namespace (think:
mountpoint in *nix). But *will* backup the target folder that resides on
Remote-1.

SO:

I need a separate client definition that lists its saveset as just the
folder that is the DFS namespace. The target folders will get backed up by
the already existing saveset ALL definitions for Remote-1 and Remote-2. I
will make a separate group for just the DFS namespace client definition
(not strictly necessary, but it does keep things more logically
separated). And I can continue to just backup Remote-1 and Remote-2 with
the ALL definition, to get the data that is "mounted" in the DFS
namespace.

Have I got this right? In testing, it appears that this is what needs to
be done - separate client definitions for DFS namespaces, but not
(specifically) for the target folders of said namespace, if you're already
backing that up.
(trying to be clear yet verbose, for those who aren't doing it yet, but
might be, in the future)

Note that this is for a Win 2008 Active directory domain, and therefore
all DFS are domain-based, and not the older NT4 registry-based.

What about the DC (Domain Controller)? Anything special to be done there?
It doesn't appear so. Just a saveset ALL (which you should be doing
anyway).
--
Michael Leone
Network Administrator, ISM