Networker

Re: [Networker] Best Practice in naming Networker Groups?

2012-04-18 02:35:34
Subject: Re: [Networker] Best Practice in naming Networker Groups?
From: "FAIDHERBE, Thierry" <thierry.faidherbe AT FOREM DOT BE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 06:35:11 +0000
Quite simple. Groups are scheduled by networker at time matching naming.
I try to move in groups clients to have backups completed before next time
increment (1h for eg).
Ex : If a group start at 18:00, I try the group to finish its task list before
18:45 for sample,
giving Networker time to "relax" a bit and properly complete all remaining
threads.

Next, I avoid all clients to take a full at same day. So, I create schedules
like F111111,
1F11111, 11F1111, 111F111, 1111F11, 11111F1 and 111111F for sample.
I assign schedules to spread Fulls over the week, not all the same workday.

Thanks to my business needs, if I take a full on Friday on some clients, I may
skip Sats,
giving more timeslot for a bigger client who run over multiple time block

Doing so, if you need to reschedule a client, just move it from group,
if you have a cluster with 2 big file services, take one member and 1 file
service
a day, the others the next day.
If you need to force a full for a specific intervention (like next sat, we
upgrade I need a full backup)
create a new sched for involved clients and overrule the calendar like "full
04/19/2012" without changing anything else
in your config.

Also, in retention, avoid name like "3 WEEKS" with retention period=WEEKS and
amount of period =3
If you need to change your retention, you will need to update all clients. If
not, you will have a retention
meaning "3 WEEKS" that may be set completely different (eg as "2 weeks"). Use
like "POLICY-BROWSE"
and "POLICY-RETENT" and "POLICY-CLRETENT" for sample to set your default browse
and
retention policies and if cloned savesets must have different retention than
original savesetid copies.
Just update 1 resource and you are done.

Give also a look at Advanced File devices. For small clients over the lan, it's
ideal.
You take your backups to a disk based device during the night and during the
day,
you move data to tape. This avoid tape fragmentation during backup and, when
you need to recover, you recover from continuous tape blocks, in other words,
faster !

HTH

TH