Networker

[Networker] Understanding the size of DISASTER RECOVERY savesets on Win2K8R2

2012-04-05 08:54:43
Subject: [Networker] Understanding the size of DISASTER RECOVERY savesets on Win2K8R2
From: "Brian O'Neill" <oneill AT OINC DOT NET>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2012 08:53:18 -0400
I did some searches, but I didn't see this particularly answered.

I've currently got just one Win2K8R2 client being backed up. We generate monthly reports on the amount of data being backed up, and someone questioned the size of the backups for this system, so I took a look. It appears to be due to the DISASTER RECOVERY setup:

Here are the savesets from the most recent full backup:

winsrvr1 04/01/2012 20:05    15063572 full     69 OSSR_B
winsrvr1 04/01/2012 20:05 16491135736 full 127185 OSSR_C
winsrvr1 04/01/2012 20:05       15104 full      4 DISASTER_RECOVERY:\
winsrvr1 04/01/2012 20:55  8069388016 full  48560 C:\

Note that OSSR_C is in fact twice as big as C:\. Is this expected? Or is this a separation of critical and non-critical data in the backups? This might make sense, as the C: drive is actually around 20GB used, and we're not using compression.

I also don't know why there is an OSSR_B - I don't have a B: drive.

Another reason I'm looking deeper in to this - I have a script that runs daily and creates graphs on the amount of data being backed up. For some reason, that script doesn't pick up the DR savesets at all. The difference between the monthly report and the daily graph scripts is how I specify the date of the saveset. For the monthly report, I specify the savetime on the mminfo query string, ala "savetime>DATE". For the daily script, I use the "-t DATE" option. In theory, it should be the same thing, but for some reason, using "-t" doesn't report the DR saveset info.

-Brian