Networker

Re: [Networker] Windows DFS Junction warning messages

2012-04-03 16:07:48
Subject: Re: [Networker] Windows DFS Junction warning messages
From: Bombay4u None <bombay4u AT HOTMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 20:07:24 +0000
Hi,
Fellow networkers, i have moved on from backup duties to mostly storage duties
and another company, on your question on DFS
DFS is a microsoft implementation of publishing the share name that the users
connect to i.e \\ad\nas\sharename, on the DFS domian implementation server the
\\ad\nas\sharename has pointer to real file system, i.e \\filername\sharename,
therefore it directs the traffic coming to \\ad\nas\sharename , share to actual
phisical storage behind it ( NAS Filer or servershare).
The main reason to do DFS link is to isolate users from phsical server links,
so in future if a nas filer or server is retired updating the DFS link would
sheild the users from remaping the drive or changing scripts and no disruption
could be noticed by the end users.
In the past we did not backup remote filesystem via networker, unless
absulutely needed, i.e the filer itself should be backed up not the shares
being mapped on each server , that way ther performance and indexing is
relavent.
There should be no need to backup mapped drives on windows servers unless there
is a business reason, that is my openion.
Hope that helps
Fazil Saiyed