Networker

Re: [Networker] Finding Completion Report History?

2012-03-06 16:58:32
Subject: Re: [Networker] Finding Completion Report History?
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 15:56:59 -0600
In regard to: [Networker] Finding Completion Report History?, bingo said...:

My personal recommendation is NOT to rely on the NMC reports:

:-)

 - They are good for statistical info over a long period of time (for instance
to verify trends)
 - However, their info must not necessarily reflect the true world:
      If the savegroup does not terminate (but the backups were successful),
the info will not be added to the NMC db.
      Manual backups do not even appear here.

I think you have some valid points Carsten.  However, I think your advice
to use mminfo and "look for what's missing" is bad advice, especially when
given to someone that's new to Networker and new to managing their backup
infrastructure.

While I have no doubt that "look for what's missing" works for someone of
your experience in your environment and I might even be able to pull it
off in my environment, it's tremendously error prone.

Even with the very valid issues you raise about NMC reports, I still think
using NMC is a better route for the beginner.

Tim
edu