Networker

[Networker] Rename MS SQL client?

2012-03-05 08:41:28
Subject: [Networker] Rename MS SQL client?
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 08:37:51 -0500
I have a MS SQL client (SQL4, IP = x.x.x.154); this is a cluster client.
Over the weekend my DBAs migrated all it's functions over to a new name
(SQL 5, with the same IP x.x.x.154). I want to verify what I need to do

Save the client ID of the SQL4 client
Delete the SQL4 client
Create a new client SQL5, with the same IP *and* the same client ID as
SQL4
(that should save all the history of SQL4, but it will be accessible as
the new name SQL5)

Possible wrinkle: there used to be a separate client called SQL5 (not sure
of the IP), which had a different client ID ...

The DNS name is now SQL5, BTW - SQL4 doesn't actually exist anywhere ...

That should all Just Work, creating a new SQL5 with SQL4's client ID, in
order to keep all the history available, and the fact that there was a
previous client with the same name (SQL5) should be immaterial, as the
client IDs  are completely different. Correct?

--
Michael Leone
Network Administrator, ISM