Networker

Re: [Networker] delete tape numbers from the media db?

2012-03-02 17:42:45
Subject: Re: [Networker] delete tape numbers from the media db?
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2012 16:41:11 -0600
In regard to: [Networker] delete tape numbers from the media db?, Vygur...:

Forgive my negligence, but would I be able to use this to clear out
400-500 expired tapes from the media database so we may reuse them?  We
have 400-500 tapes that are all labeled and expired, we need to reuse
them right away but relabelling each one individually takes so long...

If you delete the tapes from the database with the intention of re-using
them, you're going to make more work for yourself.  That's because
NetWorker will no longer recognize the software label that it writes
to the beginning of the tape, so it will not automatically overwrite them.

If you leave the tapes alone, NetWorker should *automatically* be reusing
tapes that are recycleable.  You don't need to have anything special set
(not even "auto media management") for this to happen.

If it's not happening, there's some other issue.  For example, some
versions of NetWorker I've encountered will not recycle a tape that
has aborted savesets on it.

If you're bound and determined to recycle them before it's ready to,
and you have a jukebox, examine the "-R" flag to nsrjb.  You can
experiment with just one tape by doing something like

        nsrjb -L -R "volume:001"

and if you're very brave, you could just do

        nsrjb -L -R

I *don't* recommend that, though.

Tim
edu