Networker

Re: [Networker] SAVEPNPC question about precmd in a Windows environment

2012-02-17 15:51:08
Subject: Re: [Networker] SAVEPNPC question about precmd in a Windows environment
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 15:49:23 -0500
There's something really not right here. Here is my precmd script:

ECHO "Job (suspend) starting - %DATE% %TIME%"
>>"C:\PHA_Scripts\logs\Suspend.log"
ECHO "Suspending Activity %TIME%" >>"C:\PHA_Scripts\logs\Suspend.log"
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\CSCRIPT.EXE "C:\PHA_Scripts\Source1
Scripts\ES1_ActivitySuspend.vbs"

ECHO "Suspending Archive %TIME%" >>"C:\PHA_Scripts\logs\Suspend.log"
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\CSCRIPT.EXE "C:\PHA_Scripts\Source1
Scripts\ES1_NativeArchiveSuspend.vbs"
ECHO "Job (suspend) end - ACTIVITY/ARCHIVING suspended ..... - %DATE%
%TIME%" >>"C:\PHA_Scripts\logs\Suspend.log"

C:\PHA_Scripts\blat C:\PHA_Scripts\Logs\Suspend.log -to
Michael.Leone AT pha.phila DOT gov -subject "SourceOne Suspend Log"

So it writes out lines to a log; calls out and executes a vendor-provided
Visual Basic script; writes out more log lines; executes the second vendor
provided Visual Basic writes out some final log lines; and then emails me
the log.

Now, when I execute this command from the command line on my client, it
takes about 5 minutes total to execute, since those 2 VB scripts take a
while. Works perfectly - if I look at Source One after the script runs, it
properly shows status as "PAUSED".

Yet, when I call the above script as a precmd from Networker, I get this
emailed to me:

"Job (suspend) starting - Fri 02/17/2012 15:30:31.66"
"Suspending Activity 15:30:31.66"
"Suspending Archive 15:30:32.00"
"Job (suspend) end - ACTIVITY/ARCHIVING suspended ..... - Fri 02/17/2012
15:30:32.39"

So this tells me that the 2 VB scripts aren't executing at all, since the
log lines are written 0.35 seconds apart ...

But why aren't they executed? They execute just jim dandy fine from the
command line; it's only when Networker execute this script as a precmd
that it does nothing..

Ideas, anyone? When I get back in on Tue, I will be calling EMC Tech
Support, but I'd really like to figure out why. Permissions? How can I
determine that, or get around it? Networker executes as LOCAL SYSTEM (the
default) on the client.

--
Michael Leone
Network Administrator, ISM

EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote on
02/17/2012 03:06:41 PM: