Networker

[Networker] SAVEPNPC question about precmd in a Windows environment

2012-02-17 15:07:10
Subject: [Networker] SAVEPNPC question about precmd in a Windows environment
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 15:06:41 -0500
So I've come to the point where I need to do a customized backup (in my
case - pause a database system - EMC's SourceOne mail archiving program -
back it up, then resume those services). I have a small script that
actually pauses the database, and another that restarts it,. So these are
the commands I will be putting in the precmd/pstcmd fields in the
group-name.res file that is created by the initial run of savepnpc. So far
so good. But the documentation talks about "The command environment that
is opened by the savepnpc command to run a
customized backup does not automatically inherit the system?s default
environment". Fine; so on the precmd I will put the full path to my script
(c:\scripts\stop-it.CMD), and similarly for the pstcmd, so it can be
found.

But: that restriction doesn't apply to the 2 scripts themselves, does it?
My "stop-it.CMD" and "start-it.CMD" scripts will get a normal default
environment, including resident commands like "time" and "date"? My
scripts write out a log file, using the resident time/date commands as
timestamping, and mail me the log when each script finishes.

--
Michael Leone
Network Administrator, ISM