Networker

[Networker] Open files not being backed up - VSS?

2012-02-16 15:21:58
Subject: [Networker] Open files not being backed up - VSS?
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 10:57:00 -0500
I am confused about something (nothing new there ...). I sometimes see
errors like this, in a backup of a Win2008 R2 client:

     * <WARNING> :  File blah-blah-and-yet-more-blah.xlsx could not be
opened and was not backed up. (The process cannot access the file because
it is being used by another process.

I was always under the impression that, under Windows 2008 R2, NW uses VSS
to make a snapshot of files, and then backs up the snapshot. Lather,
rinse, repeat, until the whole saveset is done. And that VSS snapshots
were able to make copies of open files. But the above message seems to
indicate otherwise.

(I realize it's a WARNING, not an ERROR)

The particular error above was actually on a temporary file (it was
actually "~blah-blah-and-yet-more-blah.xlsx", which is the format of the
temp file that Excel and other MS Office programs will use as scratch
space, while the file is open). Outside of this indicating that my user
still had the file open in Excel that late at night, what - if anything -
can I do to ensure that these files are backed up? It can't be the *only*
open file that are is not getting backed up; so why is this one failing
but others (may) not be failing?

--
Michael Leone
Network Administrator, ISM