Networker

Re: [Networker] Will staged save sets still be browsable?

2011-12-19 16:12:17
Subject: Re: [Networker] Will staged save sets still be browsable?
From: Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 21:11:43 +0000
On 19/12/11 20:57, George Sinclair wrote:
Hi,

I have a volume (volume=ARC358L4; barcode=ARC358L4, pool=ARC) that I
labeled into the wrong pool. I later made the tape read-only so no more
writes will occur to this tape. There's a little bit of data on it, and
I'd like to stage all those save sets to a volume in the correct pool
(ARC) and then relabel that tape into the correct pool (ARC Clone). All
of the data on this tape is browsable.

My understanding is that the staging process will clone the save sets to
an appendable volume in the target pool (ARC) and then remove the media
database entries for the old save sets listed on that volume (ARC358L4).
BUT once the staging has completed, will the new clone copies of these
save sets still be browsable? In other words, if someone should need to
recover one of those save sets using a browsable recover, will NW know
to use the new volume that these were staged to?

I don't care about increasing the retention or expiration date on those
save sets. They are browsable as they are now for several more months. I
just want to ensure that once they're staged (they'll obviously receive
new cloneid values but still retain the same ssids), they will still be
browsable.

I guess staging is really the same as cloning, with the caveat that the
original copy is then removed from the database and also from disk,
assuming a file type device; otherwise, it remains physically on tape
until overwritten. My experience with cloning is that the cloned save
sets are likewise browsable, but just thought I'd check to make sure in
the case of nsrstage.

Yes.