Networker

Re: [Networker] Directive question?

2011-12-16 04:54:27
Subject: Re: [Networker] Directive question?
From: Frank Swasey <Frank.Swasey AT UVM DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 04:52:36 -0500
On 12/15/11 2:54 PM, bingo wrote:
I would never use null. Why would you create an index entry or a file that you
can't recover later?

There might be a good reason for using null but i can't really see it.

You have a client with a large filesystem that you break up into multiple save sets for performance. Then you create a second client definition for that same client and use "ALL" as the save set with a directive that uses "null" to not backup all the save sets you know about from the first client a second time. If you don't use "null" in that second client, to actually recover the data you backed up with the first client you have to specify at time after the first client ran and before the second client ran to be able to recover the data at all!

Using "skip" in that instance is just being nasty to your customers... oh, wait. I've got a couple customers that think 100TB is small... Maybe, I just found a Christmas present for them <bwahahaha> ... oops... bad sysadmin sneaking out again ;-)

Frank