Networker

[Networker] Directive question?

2011-12-14 14:42:10
Subject: [Networker] Directive question?
From: George Sinclair <george.sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 14:41:24 -0500
Hi,

Another stupid directive question. I want to back up everything under /data/od/fhw but for the gg1 subdirectory, I only want to include data under the following two areas:

gg1/images/cloud
gg1/input

Otherwise, I want to skip everything else under gg1. I can think of two solutions,
and wanted to ask for advice on this, and/or if there's a better way:

1. If I have one NSR client resource with the following save set:
/data/od/fhw

would this server side directive accomplish this ???:
<< /data/od/fhw/gg1 >>
+null: .?* *
<< /data/od/fhw/gg1/images/cloud >>
forget
<< /data/od/fhw/gg1/input >>
forget

The man page for nsr (`man -S 5 nsr`) says:

forget
Forget all inherited directives (those starting with a "+" in parent directories)."

I'm not sure if the second two are inherited since they don't begin with './' ? The example in the man page shows './blah-blah-blah'. Anyway, I'm assuming I'd have to have '+' in front of the 'null' to force it to process the next two lines for 'images/cloud' and 'input'; otherwise, if I use 'null' instead then it will just stop on gg1 and not see the two forget lines for the other two areas? That right? Also, ditto for using 'skip' instead
of '+skip', correct?

I actually want to keep the index entries for those two areas under gg1, so I was thinking
'null' instead of 'skip'.

2. I know I can accomplish this with two NSR client resources. Resource 1 could specify
the following save set:
/data/od/fhw

with a server side directive as:
<< /data/od/fhw/gg1 >>
+null: .?* *

Resource 2 could specify the following two save sets:
/data/od/fhw/gg1/images/cloud
/data/od/fhw/gg1/input

with the 'Unix standard directives'.

I think that will work, but I'd like to be able to do this with one NSR client resource instead of two.

Thanks.

George