Networker

[Networker] NMC backup and licensing question

2011-11-14 09:39:37
Subject: [Networker] NMC backup and licensing question
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 09:39:07 -0500
I have a question. I maintain a Windows XP VM to use as an NMC client. I
do regularly backup the NMC database (i.e., savepsm on a client definition
of "NMCASA:/gst_on_<client>/gto_gst".

I've seen passing references on this list that the NMC console machine
does not have to be a client. How can that be - doesn't creating a client
instance to backup the NMC db (as shown above) indicate that a NW license
is in use?

How can you properly backup the NMC and yet not consume a license? I am
confused (nothing new there), In my case, the Windows XP is defined in the
NW client list with the definition above, and also in my "bootstrap" group
(i.e., "savegrp -O"). Should it not be in the "savegrp -O"?

Can someone shed some light on my mis-understanding?

--
Michael Leone
Network Administrator, ISM