Networker

Re: [Networker] Gartner's "Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Disk-Based

2011-11-09 14:08:17
Subject: Re: [Networker] Gartner's "Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Disk-Based
From: Yaron Zabary <yaron AT ARISTO.TAU.AC DOT IL>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 21:02:19 +0200
Hi Mark,

First of all, I am very glad that you took your time and addressed my (and others) concerns about the future of Networker. As I mentioned before, I miss such dialogs. As you can probably understand, some of us share the fear that EMC doesn't see Networker as an independent backup product, but rather as a companion to the hardware devices EMC sells, be it EDLs, DD or Avamar. While tight integration with DD is a good thing in itself, I expect Networker to have a life (and market) of its own regardless of any possible EMC hardware one might have.

Since I have never seen Networker's roadmap, I can only tell from what I can see in the release notes and the admin guide and I have yet to see a release with which I will feel Networker made some leap forward in usability or stability (and I am using the product since 5.5).

I could go on ranting to the forum, but I really think this is useless and I have yet to find some channel by which I can convey things to your developers (and no, there is no chance my ideas will get you any more sales, like IPv6, just more work).

Again, thanks for your attention and reply. Much appreciated.