Networker

[Networker] License errors with Virtual Client Physical Host after 7.6.2.5 update

2011-10-31 11:21:31
Subject: [Networker] License errors with Virtual Client Physical Host after 7.6.2.5 update
From: Rich Graves <rgraves AT CARLETON DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 10:21:07 -0500
Since at least NetWorker 7.5, we've been taking advantage of "virtual clients
are free." I would set "virtual client: Yes" and "physical host: <host>." I
believe that nsrlic -v used to say "Loaned to Virtual: <number of physical
hosts>," and virtual clients never counted against the standard client license
count.

This weekend, I upgraded to the 7.6.2.5 cumulative hotfix (Linux x86 or
RHEL5.7), rebooted, and all of my virtual clients got unlicensed.

39078:save: RAP error: Unable to grant Virtual Client Physical Host license to
client ****: Too many Virtual Client Physical Hosts. Maximum is 0

"Loaned to Virtual" is now zero.

I've never understood how virtual clients are licensed. Two support cases and
long conversations with our reseller only resulted in "Well, I don't understand
it either, but if it's working, you must not need to buy anything."

Rolling all the binaries back to 7.6.2.2 did not help. I'm still unable to run
backups of any virtual client.

If anyone can, help??? Otherwise, take this as a cautionary tale.

I'd check recent tech notes, but as is usually the case, Powerlink is returning

"We're sorry, Powerlink is currently unavailable, the support group has been
alerted"
--
Rich Graves http://claimid.com/rcgraves