Networker

Re: [Networker] NMC won't accept password after Java update

2011-10-26 12:17:57
Subject: Re: [Networker] NMC won't accept password after Java update
From: Allan Waters <waters_allan AT EMC DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 12:16:16 -0400
Hello,
Update below.  Here's the thread on the Community too:
https://community.emc.com/message/572309
---------
Hi Everyone,
Thanks for the communication on the Java 1.6.29 error.  It does appear to
be valid (as many have pointed out   ).  A quick search found a couple
other companies warning about 1.6.29 too:
http://www.dnb.nl/en/statistics/eline-bb/nieuws/dnb260274.jsp
http://www.loweslink.com/systemrequirements.htm

A bit of research shows that it looks like Oracle made some change in
their API that affects our SSL socket read handling, hence failure to
authenticate. The changes were made not only in Java 6 Update 29 (1.6.29),
but also in Java 7 Update 1 (7.0.1). We don't know if the change was
intentional, or if it is a bug. We are checking with Oracle on this.

The good news is we do have a fix that will work with all available Java
updates regardless of their specific API implementation, and it will be
available soon. It appears the easiest route at this point is to stick
with 1.6.26 until that fix is available.
Allan