Networker

[Networker] Recover file wants a tape that is not listed in "Required Volumes"

2011-10-24 11:48:20
Subject: [Networker] Recover file wants a tape that is not listed in "Required Volumes"
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 11:47:42 -0400
This is a bit puzzling. I have to do a recover of a file from May, 2009.
So I fire up NWRECOVER (the GUI version, in Windows), browse back to the
proper time frame, find my file, and check it off. I then click on VIEW,
REQUIRED VOLUMES. It tells me tape 4217, which then proceed to load. Then
I tell it to start the recover.

It then asks for tape 3990.

Wha? Why didn't it say that when I asked for the list of required volumes
for this saveset?
(to complicate matters, I am getting read errors on 3990, and so I can't
do the recover).

But why would it not tell me I needed both tapes? Now, 3990 is part of the
saveset that includes this file that I want (i.e., the entire saveset
spans 3 tapes 3990, 4205 and 4217). But so what? If the file is not on
3990 (and it shouldn't be, else NWRECOVER should have told me), then why
is it trying to read that tape at all? If it spanned across 2 tapes, it
should have said.

Can anybody shed some light on why it wants a tape it says isn't listed in
the required volumes for this recover? Or where to look for a reason?

If the file is actually on 4217, and that tape is readable, I can complete
this recovery. But since it claims 3990 is unreadable, it's failing.
ssflags reads "vF" for this saveset.

--
Michael Leone
Network Administrator, ISM