Networker

[Networker] nsrim and DataDomain behaviour

2011-10-07 08:20:02
Subject: [Networker] nsrim and DataDomain behaviour
From: =?utf-8?Q?Christian_Jurecka?= <jur AT ADV.MAGWIEN.GV DOT AT>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2011 08:18:11 -0400
Hi there,

we have a W2K3 Networker Server with Networker 7.6.2 running, for our
Backups we have two DD880 Datadomains which are connected via CIFS-Shares
(W2K3) and NFS-Shares (Redhat5).

Now (as backups are scheduled every day) nsrim is running every day,
triggered by savegroup/nsrd. When nsrim and nsrck on the networker server
are finished, verifying on the DD starts, after it is finished I can see
how much space was recovered (daemon.raw: nsrd media info: Recovered xx DB
by deleting xx Savesets from device rd:share).
The problem: This verifying process lasts sometimes for several hours,
backups at this time are very slow und recovers cannot be done because
readonly devices are blocked.

So here are my questions:

- Is this a normal behavior (nsrim is normal, I know) of a DataDomain? Has
anybody else seen it?
- Ist there a way to prevent nsrim from running every day, when backups are
running every day?
- Will this be better when using DDboost?

Regards,
Christian