Networker

Re: [Networker] NetApp

2011-10-05 13:48:24
Subject: Re: [Networker] NetApp
From: Matthew Huff <mhuff AT OX DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2011 13:47:47 -0400
I know of at least three ways of backing up a NetApp

1) Mount the filesystems to a host and use the normal client app to do the
backups. People swear by this, but I wouldn't recommend it. Too many issues
with performance and/or robustness for something as important as backups IMHO.

2) Use NDMP protocol (requires license from Legato) and either have locally
shared or dedicated tape. Savesets are saved in NetApp dump format and cannot
be mixed with the same tapes/streams as other backups even on shared storage.
Even though the performance is arguably the fastest for the backups, you may
have issues with backhitch, etc as the storage device and dump command may have
issues keeping tape devices fully spinning.

3) Use NDMP protocol (requires license from Legato) and backup over the net.
Savesets are multiplexed within regular savestreams and can go into the same
pools/tapes as normal backups as well as D2D2T architechtures. The actual data
is still the NetApp dump but it is encapsulated within a Legato savestream data
protocol. This is what we do, and has worked well.