Networker

Re: [Networker] adv_file volume Mode: set as "Appendable" should set to "Recyclable" to allow recover space?

2011-10-04 04:11:47
Subject: Re: [Networker] adv_file volume Mode: set as "Appendable" should set to "Recyclable" to allow recover space?
From: Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2011 09:09:48 +0100
On 10/04/11 05:45, Sree wrote:
> Networker 7.6.1 on Windows 2008
> Our adv_file volume Mode: set as "Appendable" should it be set
> to "Recyclable" to recover space?

Absolutely not. You should no mess with the status of an adv_file
device. If you set it to recyclable you will lose all your data.

> Networker / nsrim -X automatically not cleaning-up adv_file / AFTD
> savesets which have expired (recyclable mode)
>
> In NMC:
> Media -> Disk volumes -> AMBU2.001    Mode shows as: "Appendable"
> Expiration set as: "Manual"
>
> We've tried with and witout "Auto Media Management" enabled., tried
> running nsrim -X but nothing cleaning up the recyclable savesetst and
> releasing space on the adv_file / AFTD device.

You should not use AMM on an adv_file device. Manual mode should not be
set, it would not be manual by default. Save sets will not recycle
automatically in manual mode, there is a subtle clue in the name.

> D:\>mminfo -mv amdalbu2.sw.czds.bz.001
>  state volume    written  (%)  expires   read  mounts capacity  volid
> next type
> M      ambu2.001   29 TB 100%    manual 1250 GB    22      0 KB
> 9493947       0 adv_file
>
> Should the state be changed from "M" (Manual Recycle) to something else to
> be able to clean-up expired savesets already marked as Recyclable in
> Networker?

Yes definitely. Why did you set it to manual in the first place?

> We do not do cloning/staging of this adv_file device, as its Replicated to
> offsite storage.

After you replicate this offsite, how do you plan to recover the data?
All you will have is a copy of data that is no longer in the media DB.
While it is possible to recover this, it is difficult if you don't know
what you have. This seems like a very strange strategy.

> Some folks earlierr suggested: nsrstage -C and nsrclone -P ..
> these commands work great if we first manually delete savesets first
> (nsrmm -dy -S ssid#). But, we do not want to implement manual saveset
> deletion as long term Best practice., and rather Networker do automatic
> cleaning up (from index and from on-disk) for recyclable savesets.
>
> Also, if we change volume mode from Appendable to Recyclable:
>       1) After running nsrim -X, only expired/recyclable savesets should
> be removed/cleanedd,
>               and non-expired savesets should continue to remain!

NO!! If you change the mode to recyclable all your data will be expired.

>       2) Changing mode on adv_file/AFTD volume to Recycle, is it safe
> enough operation or would it affect existing/current the data ?

You will delete all your data. I don't think you want to do this.

Have you read any of the admin guide about adv_file devices? Are you
safe to be left in charge of your company's data?