Networker

[Networker] 2.4TB File Server Restore

2011-09-19 09:56:50
Subject: [Networker] 2.4TB File Server Restore
From: Chester Martin <cmartin AT SPP DOT ORG>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 08:55:48 -0500
Hello,
This past weekend I had to do a 2.4Tb windows cluster data restore from data
domain, it amounted to a little over 1 million files.  It came from a full
(Tuesday) and two incrementals (Wednesday and Thursday) for the one restore.

I ran the restore from the command line because I "thought" that it wouldn't
take as long for networker to "select" the files that it had to restore.  It
took almost 5 hours for networker to "select" the files that it had to restore.
 By select I mean that it shows the directories that it has to restore when you
type in the "add *" command.

Good thing is, while the files were being restored it actually showed the
progress of each file being restored from the command line.  I know the gui
does this but sometimes when you're restoring a lot of small files the gui will
"hang" and show nothing but a white screen (gotta love the single threaded
apps.. :)).

The odd thing that networker did was it restored the incremental from Wednesday
first (I could tell by the size of the saveset being restored).  It also
prompted for overwrite, which is odd because I restored all the data to a new
freshly formatted volume.  After I gave it a "Y" Wednesday's incremental
completed then it started writing data from Tuesday's full, then Thursday's
incremental.  The whole thing completed successfully yesterday afternoon.

I have two questions from it though:

1)      Could I have done a "save set" restore and the gotten around the
initial 5 hours it took to select the restorable data?  That part was painful
to wait for..

2)       I'm still unsure why I got an overwrite prompt when it restored all
the data to a new volume, is that normal?

Thanks in advance.