Networker

[Networker] Several questions on time values for mminfo

2011-09-09 15:54:20
Subject: [Networker] Several questions on time values for mminfo
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2011 15:54:01 -0400
Can someone please explain what exactly the 'ssinsert' versus 'sscreate' values are any why they should or should not be the same and when to use one versus the other. I'm confused about whether I should be using 'savetime' or one of the other two.

1. I did read the man page for 'mminfo', and the descriptions for both attributes are obviously different, but it sounds like they're the same value, *unless* a save set was scanned in. Assuming that's not the case, however, then should they be the same? As near as I can tell, they are.

I ran this as a quick test:
mminfo -s server -q 'savetime>three months ago' -ot -r 'ssid,sscreate(20)' | grep -v ssid | md5sum
50fd8f4a992e2bb0ade439451f9f47e4  -
mminfo -s server -q 'savetime>three months ago' -ot -r 'ssid,ssinsert(20)' | grep -v ssid | md5sum
50fd8f4a992e2bb0ade439451f9f47e4  -

We've not scanned any tapes in, however. But, the 'sscreate(20)' value is not always the same as the 'savetime(20)'. It's close, and sometimes identical, but might be off by a few seconds. The clocks on all our machines are synchronized, but there will be some drift here and there, so maybe I should be specifying 'ssinsert' in case the server's clock differs slightly from the client's? Or maybe 'sscreate'?

2. I understand that savetime is the date/time that the backup was started on the client but not the time it finished which would be 'sscomp', yes?

So, if I want to see all the save sets in the media database on or after 2011-09-09 08:00:31, for client1, according to the server's clock, then I'd specify:
mminfo -s server -q 'sscreate>=09/09/11 08:00:31,client=client1'

But if I instead ran:
mminfo -s server -q 'savetime>=09/09/11 08:00:31,client=client1'

Then that would show all save sets for client1 whose save time on the client was on or after that time, right? But if client1's clock was ahead by 3 seconds, and it's save time was 08:00:34, but the server's clock was 08:00:31, then 'mminfo' would fail to report the save set if I specified 'savetime>=08:00:34', but if I specified 'sscreate>=08:00:34' then it would? Do I have that right?

So which do I use?

3. I do notice that queries involving 'sscreate' or 'ssinsert' take a lot longer to run than 'savetime'. For example:

time mminfo -s server -q 'sscreate>=09/09/11 01:00:34' -r ssid | tail -1
325692267

real    0m11.169s
user    0m2.452s
sys     0m1.189s

time mminfo -s server -q 'savetime>=09/09/11 01:00:34' -r ssid | tail -1
325692267

real    0m0.428s
user    0m0.008s
sys     0m0.007s

I get much closer results when I add the 'client=clientname', however.

George

--
George Sinclair
Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210